Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Why I love Being a Yoga Teacher

The Unfathomable Reward of being a Yoga Instructor:  My answer may surprise you.
People come to yoga class for endless amounts of reasons.  I’m here to tell you that as the one privy to knowing some of these reasons, there are times where I am simply in shock as I listen to testimonials of how Yoga has met the practitioners right where they are!
Yoga is not the answer to everyone’s problems, nor does it claim to have all the solutions.  It simply offers a practice that calls us to engage with all that we have, no more, no less.  We come to class, young to old, male and female, all races, religions, financial statuses, etc. etc. etc.  Each one of us arrives to practice with our particular requisite and expectation of how yoga might enrich our lives.

"Teaching yoga is an offering, of oneself and what one has learned ... when you see it making a difference in people's lives ... it all becomes worth while!"   Jeannine
Well, as one who feels honored to lead a class to the various participants, I do often get to hear feedback.  The insight into the parts that you shed light on, bring about bountiful reward.  In fact, it increases my passion to teach and stirs me toward really encouraging those interested in bringing about holistic health to individuals and communities to take the necessary steps and give of yourself, become a YOGA teacher; it will leave you with an immense sense of fulfillment.
Following are a few testimonials of students with various backgrounds, in a variety of settings, finding themselves amazed at what they found resulting within them after practicing.
Yoga Studio:
First time Attendee:
“I am a musician and spend hours practicing, finding myself needing a break, but not just rest, something that will promote healing in my hands and arms while I am not playing.  This has done that for me.”
Regular Practitioner:
“I wouldn’t call myself a stressed out person, but when I came here to give my mind a break from my to-do list, I have seen that I was all stressed out.  I don’t miss a class and find that I feel better than ever.”
College:
Students:
“I love coming to class because even though it is full of people, I am able to feel like I get positive alone time.  I even forget that I am on campus.  It’s like my vacation … I need this so much.“
“I have suffered from exhaustion, and have been told that it is fibromyalgia.  Yoga has been challenging for me, but with great results.  My posture has improved so dramatically that it has gotten me compliments, which in turn encourage me and I think all of that combined increases my confidence.  People see me smiling and I feel more productive.”
“Thank you so much for allowing this to be a spiritual time as well, I feel like my body is cooperating with my spirit and allowing me to worship God.”
Staff:
“It is the perfect mix between a most spectacular nap and a revitalizing boost to make it through the rest of the day, feeling great.”
Faculty:
“Thank you so much for teaching this class that incorporates; mind, body and spirit.  I walk away all-together refreshed.”
Convalescent home:
Participant
“The breathing exercises followed by the movements and then the relaxation relieves me from the tension in my neck and shoulders, so much, that it is on the days that you come in, that I am able to sleep.”
Spouse of Participant
From a very caring husband of a wife who is in a wheelchair and incapable of caring for herself, after practice he says:  “If anything at all, you need to go away from here knowing that you have relieved the tightness in my wife’s hands.  She hasn’t had relaxed hands since I can remember.”
Staff
"We love when you come in, you get them to participate and you even give us an opportunity to benefit from yoga.  I can’t even tell you how much WE need it and how much it helps us in our day."
Daughter of Resident Participant
“I wish they could have yoga everyday of the week.  It just helps him to get that mood boost that he so desperately needs.  He actually smiles afterwards!”

Can you imagine how delightful this is?   This is about being a vessel that imparts the tools that help this healing process take place.  I cannot believe how blessed I am to do this for a living.  Thank you to all of those who went before me, who have instructed and enriched my practice, making me who I am today. Thank you to the many amazing teachers I have learned under, most recently, to Paul Jerrard. Kris, Chris, Elizabeth, Tomasz, Tia,  and beyond.
(And for those of you, who have been going to classes regularly, please, be sure to share what impact yoga has made on you, it refreshes and inspires and makes for better teachers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment